Search This Blog

Friday, July 19, 2013

Upcycled Wallet Tutorial

Pin It
I have an awesome tutorial for you today!
I've had this wallet forever!
Just kidding...I think it's only been 4 years...but that's a long time in wallet years :)
This is what my wallet was looking like...

 All of the corners were fraying off, it was dirty, it had pen marks all over it, it was ready to be done.
I was tempted to just go and buy a new one, but I decided to give an upcycle a try, just to see if it would work.
Well folks, it worked!!
 Supplies I used
-Mod podge
-fabric 
-sponge brush
-exacto knife
 I actually bought the fabric a while ago from Wal-mart. 
100% cotton fat quarter for 97 cents.
I had a project in mind for it, but that fell through, so I'm glad I finally got to put it to use!
I had previously washed the fabric, so it was all ready to go.
First lay out your wallet on the fabric.
I cut out a little extra just to give myself so room to play with it.
Using the sponge brush, apply a coat of Mod Podge.
 Then lay out the fabric on top. I used a card to just press down the fabric and smooth it all out.
 This is what it looked like with opened up with the fabric on both sides.
 So the original fabric on the wallet was wrapped over the edge and kind of tucked in under a metal piece that went all of the way around... 
 I applied Mod Podge along the edges and folded the fabric over.
 Then, using my exacto knife, I went along the part where the fabric and metal part meet, and cut off the extra fabric.
 Still using the exacto knife, I then lightly pushed/tucked the edge of the fabric down in between/
(See pictures below)
 Here is what the wallet looked like after going around the edges.
 I then applied a coat of Mod Podge all over the fabric and edges to kind of 'seal' it all.
 Let it dry completely, 
 And that's it!!
I think the whole thing only took a little over an hour, and now I have a 'new' wallet :)

19 comments:

  1. I would have never thought to mod podge on a new wallet cover, i love the fabric you chose. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a sad looking wallet that could use this kind of TLC! Pinned!
    Corey from www.tinysidekick.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks awesome! Thanks for sharing.

    ~Ashley (A Cute Angle)

    http://acutelifestyle.blogspot.com
    www.facebook.com/ACuteLifestyle
    www.twitter.com/ACuteLifestyle

    ReplyDelete
  4. That turned out really pretty! I love the fabric, and it looks like a simple project, too!
    Nikki
    www.rushedmommy.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous! This looks so amazing I'm going to start hunting around for things to upcycle! I found you on the I Love My Post Hop. X justrach.com xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! This turned out awesome! I may have to give this a try for some friends who have birthdays coming up. Thanks for sharing! I found your blog on the Let's Get Social Blog Hop. Excited to follow along.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Great work, Michelle! Love the fabric too!Thanks so much for sharing the great tutorial! Would love to have you visit me sometime.
    Have a fabulous week!
    Hugs from Portugal,

    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a great idea! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great tutorial! Love the fabric!! Thanks for sharing at my Pin Me Linky Party!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks fab! What a great idea to revamp it with modge podge & fabric!

    buttonsandpaint.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks adorable. Thanks for a great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a very cute makeover! Thanks for linking up at Whatever Goes Wednesday. We'll be featuring this over at Someday Crafts tomorrow! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great makeover and great tutorial! Just wanted to let you know that I featured your tutorial on my Finding Friday: My Favorite Finds post! Be sure to swing by to check it out and grab my featured button!

    http://itsalwaysruetten.blogspot.com/2013/07/finding-friday-my-favorite-finds_26.html

    Thanks!

    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  14. such a GREAT idea!! love it! thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this SO much! I have one of these wallets that is super gross looking, I love that I can repurpose it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am kicking myself right now- I am pretty sure I put my old wallet in the garage sale last month. You did a wonderful job, now I have to see if I still have that wallet...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Did you use THAT mod podge? Or did you use fabric mod podge?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did use that one, I actually had no clue there is a fabric one!!

      Delete
  18. I love this Michelle! Thanks for linking up at Tips and Tricks! Sharing everywhere!
    Gina @ Gina's Craft Corner

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...