Search This Blog

Monday, March 11, 2013

My little prince {DIY crown and cape}

Pin It
This past weekend we had the chance to attend a birthday party.
It was for a sweet little sassy miss turning 4, and she wanted a princess party.
And she wanted everyone to dress up.
Her older brother, dressed up as a Musketeer, so my son decided he wanted to be a prince.
I immediately started thinking of things we might have around the house to make a little prince, and I was pleasantly surprised to find everything we needed.
The first thing I made was the crown.
I took one of those cardboard gift boxes you usually get around Christmas (see below)
I measured around my son's head and then cut out two strips of cardboard, and I kind of made a design with points at the top.

 I cut a fancy little part to attach the two pieces, and then I realized it was completely unnecessary.
On the other side I just taped it together.
Much easier.
 See? Not necessary.
So after we taped the 2 pieces together we painted it gold.
We did two coats on the outside and just one on the inside.
Let it dry, and it's done.
Back at our old place in Utah I had bought some thick black fabric and sewed it together to make a big square shape to cover my son's window.
He would wake up with the sunrise because he figured if the sun was up, it was time to be up playing.
So, the fabric let us sleep in a little bit longer. Not really, but that's ok.
Since moving here that fabric was just folded up taking up space, so I thought this would be the perfect time to use it.
I first just held it up to my son, and using some of his sidewalk chalk, I drew a line around where his neck was.
Nothing perfect or fancy.
 I then pinned it and sewed around it.
 When I got to the ends I inserted some elastic.
I just used some I had left over from the super hero masks I've been making.
I slipped the 'cape' over my son's head and made a few marks for the length,
I then drew a semi-circle, cut it out, and sewed around the whole thing to make sure the edges didn't fray.
 Here is the finished cape and crown. 
I like the way the cape turned out because I feel like it's definitely something we can use in the future for other costumes.
 For some reason it was almost impossible to get a good picture of my son wearing the crown and cape, he was running around the whole time, but I did find this one.
He was quite a handsome little prince :)

4 comments:

  1. I'm your newest follower! Thanks for sharing!
    http://getyourcraptogether.blogspot.com/search/label/Pattern%20Party

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute! Love that crown and the fact that brother was willing to dress up for the princess party. How sweet! Thanks so much for linking up with the Mommy-Brain Mixer this week, Michelle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like he had a really fun time being a Prince.

    Thanks for linking to the Sunday Showcase.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...