Search This Blog

Thursday, January 24, 2019

Built In Entryway Coat Rack

Pin It
I am happy to say I was able to complete a few built-in projects over the last few months!
I actually have a few more on my list to complete, but with the hustle and bustle of the holidays I took a little break to focus my time elsewhere.
This entryway coat rack was my most popular post on Instagram for 2018, so I wanted to write a quick post to share all of the details on how it all came together.
Clean design plus functionality.
I'm so in love with how this turned out!
Let's take a look at the 'before', shall we?

Our entryway is a small enclosed area so I didn’t have a lot of space to work with, but I knew I needed to do something with the space!
The first step was to get rid of the trim. I figured it would help the whole thing look more customized.
Lucky for me, my amazing neighbor let me borrow his handy tool for the job. 
This thing was amazing!! 
I just cut a straight line into the trim to the wall on both ends, and then pried the trim off.
I cut my first piece to go across the bottom.
This is 5.5" wide and .5" thick.
I used this same piece to go across the very top as well.
I used my nail gun to attach these pieces to the wall.
For all of the vertical pieces (the side pieces, and middle pieces) and the ones going horizontal across the middle I used ones that measure 3.5" wide and .5" thick.
I made the 'outside box' first to see how big it would be.
I then used a putty to fill in all the cracks where the pieces meet.
I also used putty to fill in where the side piece meets the wall in the corner.
I then measured and spaced out the remaining vertical pieces.
Once those were in place I attached the remaining horizontal pieces.
I then went around the whole thing and used putty to fill in all the cracks where the wood meets so the whole thing looked seamless.
I then did three coats of white paint.
And then added the hooks.
They are a brushed silver color (which matches the hardware on our front door perfectly!)
The wood, hooks, paint, and putty all came from The Home Depot.
I used a power drill, circular saw, and my neighbor's saw to complete this job.
I don't know how, but it makes the space feel bigger now.
Let me know if you have any questions!
Thanks for reading!

3 comments:

  1. I really like that! If we weren't looking at moving in about 6 months, I'd go ahead and try something like that here! That entryway has 'character'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! And I totally get that, I’m the same way 😊

      Delete
  2. What is the width of the top and bottom pieces? I’d like to re-create this in my entryway. I love it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...