Search This Blog

Sunday, June 9, 2013

Pasta Frola

Pin It
 My husband is from the beautiful country of Argentina, and Pasta Frola is something his mom made him growing up. I knew I needed to learn how to make it to carry on the tradition.
I have to admit, the very first time I tried pasta frola I didn't get what all of the fuss was about, but now, I love just as much as he does...if not more...
Pasta frola is a shortbread type tart filled with Quince (or dulce de membrillo) jam, and then baked.
I have included a lot of pictures for you as a step-by-step guide.
Last month I made this twice, once for my husband's birthday, and then two weeks later before we went on vacation to Utah.
The first time I made this recipe I used a 9 inch pie dish, the crust was really thick, and I had a lot of left over dough, so I could have actually made two.
The second time I made the recipe, I used a 9x13 baking dish, and I feel like the thickness was perfect.

Ingredients
*This recipe will make one 9x13 tart or two 9 inch circular tarts
2 c. all-purpose flour
3/4 c. cornstarch
1 c. sugar
3 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
2 sticks of unsalted butter
2 whole eggs + 1 egg yolk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 lb. dulce de membrillo (Quince jam)
egg wash: 1 beaten egg + 1 tsp. milk
In a large bowl whisk together flour, cornstarch, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
Cut the butter into slices and add to the dry ingredients.
Using a pastry blender cut in the butter until the mixture resembles crumbs.
Add the 2 eggs + 1 egg yolk and vanilla extract and mix in with the pastry blender until it all starts to come together.
On a lightly floured surface, knead the dough a couple of times.
Form the dough into a disc-like shape,
Cover dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least a 1/2 hr.
Preheat the oven to 350 and butter the baking dish.
Take about 3/4 of the dough and press it into the bottom of the baking dish and a little up the sides.
I think the dough was about a 1/2" thick.
This is what the can of Quince jam looks like. It can be found at South American/Latino stores.
Open the can and place the jam in a microwave safe bowl.
Microwave for 1 minute intervals, stirring after each minute.
You want it to be about the same consistency as thick jam. 
Once you have your desired consistency, spread the jam on top of the dough.
On a lightly floured surface, roll out the remaining dough and cut thin strips.
Place the strips of dough across the tart,
and then lay some strips the other way.
Brush on your egg wash over all of the dough.
Bake for about 30-40 minutes. 
The dough will be a light golden brown color.
Remove from the oven and let it cool completely.
And now enjoy!
I've got a video below that goes through the steps as well, check it out!

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...