Search This Blog

Saturday, June 29, 2013

DIY Kids Coat Rack for Under $5

Pin It
So this is what we were up to last week.
I love how this little project turned out!

I think the 'nesting' stage of my pregnancy is starting to kick in, I want to organize and clean everything!
Since moving into our apartment back in September (yes, almost 10 months ago), this is how my son's bedroom door has looked.
We've got a backpack, super hero masks, a super hero umbrella, and super hero capes all piled on those door knobs.
I have no idea how or why it took me so long to tackle this organizing project, but I finally got around to it, and I'm so glad I did!
This was SO fast and easy to do!
First, my son and I went to Lowe's.
We love looking around in there, there is so much for his little eyes to explore.
We found a piece of wood ($1.65), that was just the right length I wanted, and we got three wooden knobs ($.87 each) that are supposed to go on dresser drawers.
Our total cost with tax was $4.65.
To get started we pulled out all of our craft acrylic paints, I asked my son what color he wanted to make the coat rack and he said black.
(Which actually worked really well because his bed and dresser are also black).
So here he is painting the piece of wood.
We ended up doing two coats of paint.
 I then had my son pick out what colors he wanted to paint the knobs, and he choose some different shades of green.
(I kind of knew that one was coming, it is one of his favorite colors after all!)
 To paint the knobs we just stuck them on the end of another small paint brush so we wouldn't be messing up the paint.
 My son choose all three of these paint colors for the knobs.
I didn't realize until after they were painted that they were in an ombre effect.
How trendy is my 4 1/2 year old?! 
:)
 We then marked where we wanted the knobs to go.
 And drilled our holes.
(DO NOT drill your holes while the piece of wood is on top of a table, I just have it this way so I could grab a quick picture).
 So after drilling our holes, I went to screw in the knobs.
It turns out the screws were too long, so I grabbed some Gorilla Glue and glued the knobs on instead.
The can of corn helped keep the knobs in place while the glue dried.
 Using two screws, we then hung up the coat rack on the wall right behind my son's bedroom door.
There is a door stopper there, so the door can't hit the rack, or even the things on the rack.
I also wanted it to be his height so he could be responsible for putting his things away.
He was SO excited to hang everything up!
 Now that's much better to look at!

3 comments:

  1. New follower via the Super Sunday Sync. I'm excited to snoop around your site. At first glance I see a lot of things that peek my interest. Hope you're having a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this. We have the removable hooks...and they are so much better than having piles of coats and backpacks. Found you via Sun Scholars this morning. I would love to invite you to share this at my Season’s Best {Back-to-School} Link-Up . Best wishes for a great start the the school year. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...