Search This Blog

Thursday, November 8, 2012

Thankful turkey craft

Pin It
Since it's the beginning of November, and Thanksgiving is on it's way, last Monday night for Family night I wanted to talk to my son about being thankful.
We have so much to be thankful for, and I want him to understand that everything should not be expected or taken for granted.
I know you have seen turkey crafts ALL over Pinterest, well, here's another one :)
I had taken down our Halloween paper plate crafts and again had our big, empty, white wall.
I decided a new craft should take their place.
This is the 'thankful turkey craft' my son made, that is now hanging on our wall. 
Supplies
paper plate
paint
toilet paper roll, or paper towel roll cut in half
construction paper
scissors
google eyes
marker
We first painted our turkey 'bodies' brown. 
(Is it weird that I think that wet brown paint looks like melted milk chocolate...you can see where my mind wanders to!)
While the plates were drying, we put glue on one side of some cream colored construction paper and wrapped it around the toilet paper rolls.
We cut out the beak and the red things (I honestly have no idea what those are called...gobblers??), anyways we cut those out of some foam sheets scraps from our craft supply box.
I let him put the face together all by himself.
His is the one on the left, he told me turkeys need two red things around their beak...
I then traced his hands on a couple different colors of construction paper and cut them out.
I asked him what he was thankful for, this is what he said...
I am so thankful for all that I have.
My family
 our health
safety and freedom
a warm home
food
friends
happiness
peace
struggles and trials
experiences
I feel like when I sit down and think about it, my list would be endless.
I am grateful for that.

26 comments:

  1. what a great idea! I just pinned it :)

    New follower from the hop.

    www.heiditakingtheplunge.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! Love the things kids come up with! Thanks for sharing at the Keep Calm and Link Up party! Hope to see you back next week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just dropping in from the hop to meet you:) Now following via Facebook, Pinterest and GFC:)
    Now I am off to check out some of your other posts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi - over here from Julie's to say hi and follow you along. I like the fun ideas you have for kids! I would like to invite you to stop by and see me... I mostly cook and sometimes throw in a project or two...

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely way of coming around the things to be grateful for! Thank you for co-hosting the ;arvelous Mondays, I'm your new follower ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How adorable - I love the creativity of it :) I will have to make this with me 4 year old son. Visiting from Take-A-Look Tuesday. Have a lovely week!

    Blessings,
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was a lot of fun to do :) Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  7. new[est] follower. loving this post and loving your blog. can't wait to keep following along!

    stop by sometime!
    kalobandelise.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are so lovely. I love the idea of being thankful and getting the kids involved is a great idea :)

    Sarah @ A Cat-Like Curiosity

    ReplyDelete
  9. So adorable. i loved the stuff he's thankful for. We can learn so much from the little ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, each time he said what he was thankful for it just made me smile so big :)

      Delete
  10. Lovely turkey craft! Thanks for sharing at the Sunday Showcase. I've pinned it to our feature board. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. So so cute! Sharing this on this week's Sunday Showcase. Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great project to show gratitude. I love it and the paint totally looks like melted chocolate.

    Thanks for linking up to Raising Imperfection!
    Leslie
    www.violetimperfection.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Super cute! And such a fun project for kids!

    Thank you for linking to Raising Imperfection. Please come back Friday to see if you were featured! Happy Thanksgiving! :)

    Lanaya
    www.raising-reagan.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is super cute!! Thanks for sharing. May have to do this for our Thanksgiving project next year.
    Thanks for linking with Raising Imperfection!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aww. That is so cute! I love this project! This will be a great craft idea for kids to help them appreciate the true value of thanksgiving. I think this is very simple, yet very whimsical. I like how the kids get to write what they’re thankful for. 
    Clay Delgado

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...