Search This Blog

Saturday, November 17, 2012

Mini Coconut Cream Pies

Pin It
Good morning all!
It's no secret that I love mini desserts.
Maybe I feel less guilty if I'm eating smaller portions...but I don't think it counts if I pop multiple ones in my mouth in one sitting...hmmm, oh well~
On to the recipe!
I feel like pies just come with territory when you're talking about Thanksgiving and Christmas, so lucky for you this post comes right before Thanksgiving, yay!
Guests at your holiday get-together will definitely appreciate the individual serving size :)
I first made these last year for Thanksgiving, and they were DELICIOUS!
Since then, I've actually made these a couple of times, and I've tweaked the recipe to save a little time here and there. Even with that help, they are a little involved, but SOOOO worth it, I promise!
You can do this a day in advance and refrigerate the dough and cream filling if that helps!
Here we go!
Pie Crust
1/3 c. cold water with an ice cube or two to keep it cold
1 3/4 c. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. brown sugar
2/3 c. shortening
Pour flour, salt, and brown sugar into a bowl. Using a pastry blender or fork cut the shortening into the dry ingredients until it starts to resemble pea-sized clumps.
Pour in a small amount of water and press the dough together, keep adding small dashes of water until you can form the dough into a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1/2 hour. 
(If you want to you can also leave it overnight)
When you are ready, break the dough ball in half and roll it out on a sheet of wax paper sprinkled lightly with flour. Cut out circles and place in a greased muffin tin. Gently push it down so it makes a little cup.
Poke a few tiny holes in the bottom so it doesn't puff up.

Bake at 425 degrees for about 8 minutes, or until they turn a light golden brown.
Let them cool completely before taking them out of the muffin tin.

Coconut cream filling
4 Tbsp corn starch
1 1/2 c. sugar
5 oz. sweetened coconut
1 c. milk (I used fat free)
1/2 c. heavy whipping cream or half and half
1 tsp. vanilla
3 egg yolks (don't throw away the egg whites, we will use those in a minute for the meringue!)
*Again, this can be made the day before and refrigerated until ready.
In a microwave safe bowl whisk together corn starch and sugar. Once they are combined add the milk and heavy whipping cream and whisk everything together. In a small separate bowl whisk the egg yolks together and then add them to the microwave safe bowl as well, again whisking everything together.
Microwave for 2 minutes and whisk the mixture together. Microwave the mixture again in 1 minute intervals whisking each time until it reaches your desired thickness.
Stir in the vanilla and sweetened coconut and refrigerate until it has cooled down, or you are ready to use it.
*It will also thicken a little more once it has cooled.

Now, you could top these pies with whipped cream, and I'm sure they would taste wonderful, but this Meringue is pretty simple, and adds that perfect last touch.
Meringue topping
3 egg whites at room temperature (make sure there isn't any egg yolk in there, trust me, I know from experience that it won't work!)
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. corn starch
6 Tbsp sugar
Using a mixer, beat the egg whites together until they look foamy or frothy.
Add vanilla, corn starch, and sugar and beat together until it looks kind of like whipped cream (see below).
That's it!
Fill the pie shells with the cooled coconut cream filling, top with the meringue and sprinkle a few pieces of sweetened coconut for looks :)
Once they are assembled, you can then pop them back in the oven on a cookie sheet for 3 or 4 minutes at 425 to give the coconut on top a slight 'toasted' effect.
(Let the pies cool completely again before trying to move them. Again, I've learned this from experience!)
These pies are delicious right from the oven or even the next day!
Hope you have a great holiday season :)

Recipe adapted from here.

20 comments:

  1. Oh these sound SO good! Do you think a dairy free version in possible substituting the milk with almond milk and the cream with canned coconut cream, or would it not set up right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have not tried it personally, but before I posted this recipe, I actually looked into it. I found this, "If you want to use almond milk in a baked custard or pudding or another recipe that is expected to be thick, add a few extra tablespoons of a thickening agent, whether it be flour or cornstarch."

      Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/553567-substituting-with-almond-milk-for-baking/#ixzz2CapuYFQJ

      As far as replacing the cream goes, I was actually debating on cutting out the cream completely and just using coconut milk due to the fact that it would add more of that flavor, I just didn't have a can of it on hand at the time, but yes, I would use it.
      Hope this helps! Let me know if you have anymore questions :)

      Delete
  2. I am a sucker for mini desserts, I think they are just so cute!

    Thanks for linking up to Raising Imperfection!
    Leslie
    www.violetimperfection.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh they are super cute...love mini pies!
    I'm not big on coconut cream but maybe with a berry filling or something.

    Thank you for linking to Raising Imperfection. Please come back Friday to see if you were featured! Happy Thanksgiving! :)

    Lanaya
    www.raising-reagan.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUMMY! These look so good, Michelle! I've pinned for future reference. Thanks for sharing on Marvelous Mondays!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUMMO! You mentioned pies and coconut in the same sentence, I automatically started salivating ;) This looks delish! Pinned it onto my 'to bake' list (which never seems to stop growing! not enough hours in the day to bake everything right?!)


    Following along with you and your blog via the Marvelous Mondays hop, I hope you'll come see me soon at http://quirkycraftingshmooglebean.blogspot.com.au/
    ~Tasha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha thanks! I hear ya! So much baking, so little time. Welcome aboard, I'll head on over :)

      Delete
  6. YUM! Those look delicious! I had to pin this because I've got to try these soon. So glad I found your site via Sew many Ways...I'll visit often!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh gosh, they sound absolutely scrummy. I wouldn't be able to stop at one that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My hubby will love, love, these. Looks delish.

    We may have met by chance...but we become friends by choice.
    http://simpleesue.com/try-one-new-recipe-a-week-german-apple-puff-pancake

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have not had coconut cream pie in ages. The mini's are so cute. Perfect for a party. I bet they would go quickly, too, because they look so tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are really looking super cute!
    I think they'd be a hit at any party

    ReplyDelete
  11. I thought this post looked familiar. Glad to have you link it again to Raising Imperfection :)

    Lanaya
    www.raising-reagan.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha sorry! I wasn't sure if I had linked this one yet :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...